Monday 25 August 2008

I understand

I understand how scarlet differs from crimson because I know that the smell of an orange is not the smell of a grapefruit...without colour or its equivalent, life to me would be dark, barren a vast blackness...Therefore, I habitually think of things as coloured and resonance. Habit accounts for part. The souls sense accounts for another part. The brain with its five sensed construction asserts its right and accounts for the rest. The unity of the world demands that colour be kept in it whether I have cognizance of it or not. Rather than be shut out, I take part in it by discussing it, happy in the happiness of those near me who gaze at the lovely hues of the sun set or rainbows.

Helen Keller


'The world I live in' 1908. Miss Helen Keller who was blind and deaf, writes of colour.


"OH Kitty how nice it would be if we could only get through into the Looking glass house! I'm sure it's got oh!! such beautiful things in it! Let's pretend there's a way of getting through into it somehow Kitty....Let's pretend the glass has gone all soft like gauze, so that we can get through....Why, it's turning to a mist now, I declare! It'll be easy enough to get through."

Lewis Caroll described an analogous shift in Alice's adventures in Through the looking glass.


"The development of an observer can allow a person considerable access to observing different identity states, but a person himself who has not developed the observer function very well may never notice the many transitions from one identity state to another."

Charles T. Tart
'Altered states of consciousness 1977.

I'm so excited I just got photoshop today and some real practical help with my computer, my friend spent five hours cleaning it all up and he fixed it so its all working so much better, also got some tips on technicalities that will make life easier for me.

I got some beautiful freesia too, so hard to find some that actually have some scent these days...Alas these ones smell gorgeous, strong enough to fragrance my whole bedroom.

No comments: