Tuesday 3 June 2008

Evan Almighty

Watched Evan Almighty tonight, and I'm voting it best film of my year so far. My son recommended it to me, as he is, apart from me of course, the best judge of what I'd like or not. He is by far the most considerate person I know.... with a vast knowledge of movies, actors, presenters, plots etc...So thanks son "You made my day with this one, again!"

EVAN ALMIGHTY....Universal pictures and Spyglass entertainment, presented in association with Relativity media a Shady Acres/Barber Burnbaum production.

Directed by Tom Shadyac... Starring...One of my very best lead actors ever Morgan Freeman who plays God, Steve Carell who plays (modern day Noah) junior congressman Evan Baxter, Lauren Graham, John Goodman, Jimmy Bennet, John Michael Higgins, Wanda Sykes, Jonah Hill, Molly Shannon, Ed Helms, Rachael Harris, Brian Howe etc.

This movie is an Epic comedy about a modern day Noah and his arch.

Evan is a high powered Junior congress man, but also a control freak and dictator. He wants to change the world, but his idea of that change is that everyone should think, act and do everything exactly the way he does and says. He has a wonderful family whom he provides for very well with material items. In his attempt to create a better environment and more opportunities for him and his family he moves them all away from their friends to Virginia and what he deems as a better place . But he is an arrogant man, and has forgotten about matters of the heart. The power he feels from his success has over inflated his ego. One day he rather unexpectantly comes face to face with God who is also keen to change the ways of the world and decides to teach Evan some lessons.

Evan Almighty is a hilarious film, peppered with some real insight into what is really important in life. I thoroughly enjoyed the marvellous acting,dialogue, storyline/plot and moral value of this movie. A pinnacle moment for me in particular and one that I can completely relate to, was these words of wisdom from Morgan Freeman, which went something like this... "When you pray to God asking for patience, courage etc.. Do you think he just gives you these enhancements you've asked for or does he give you the opportunities to be courageous, patient etc?"

I was also captured by the almighty extras bonus track, which featured the usual outtakes etc... extremely funny! Especially informative on how they built the ark. The production team were determined to minimise the special effects features, ensuring that the film was as real as possible, therefore all animals were real and Evans Ark. Obviously there were certain implications in causing a real flood in Washington DC, so was also interesting watching the computer generation of that. They then went a step further with their environmentally cautious approach and sound information about energy reduction.

So "Evan Almighty" a big thumbs up from me. And Morgan Freeman if your ever reading this "Can I adopt you as my new dad?"

Lorna Cameron

No comments: